Security was extremely tight and I had to check the GPS unit with my luggage because (as explained by the security agent) it could be used to track the course of the plane while in the sky. That was a big no-no for years after 9-11.
Today I use my Garmin watch for everything outdoors. The data from this smartwatch is incredible compared to 20 years ago. Now I can see the speed of the plane, elevation, color scaled map, temps, barometrics, my own heart rate, steps I've taken, and the list seems to go on forever.
Traveling today made me think about those scary sad days after 9-11 and reflect on the status of our world currently combating covid-19. Maybe in the next 20 years our electronics will automatically dispense medications, feed us, create aromas, analyze our personal air quality and sync with our mind telepathically to read and record thoughts so we never forget again.
The point of this rant is: I think society may be entering a time where we finally admit the dangers of too much technology, tracking, privacy loss and declining social skills. It's not that the tech itself is dangerous, but can you name any form of it that hasn't been used for bad or to hurt others? The geek side of me thinks all this data is really cool, but did it make me smarter or just give me more than I probably can really ever use? And why do I even need it? I still keep a USA Eastern States map marked with magnetic North declination and a compass in my go bag. I say that because the more I use my watch, the more I value those old orienteering and survival skills. Would I ever have developed those skills if I would have owned this watch first? Probably not. Do most individuals who own a watch like this really understand what all of the functions do, or how to utilize them if they are in an emergency? Again, most likely not. I think most people buy it for basic functions and admire the color or rugged asthetics of it. It's like using a paper ledger to balance a checking account today, why do it? Do you trust that the bank record online could never fail? Would it be good to understand how to reconcile your accounts yourself?
Honestly, simple may not be better - but there is something to be said for it. For me, simple keeps me happier, grounded and more secure personally I think. š¤
No comments:
Post a Comment