Monday, December 23, 2019

Let's talk about clueless DIY, Discount plumbing and Crackhead Engineering!


With the help of a friend (he did most of the work), I managed to tear out a rotten floor and replace a toilet for my parents just before the holiday! This repair was made by the previous homeowner prior to the sale 7 years ago. Long story short - a flange was never installed, wax ring was placed around the sewer pipe and toilet was held to the sub-floor with wood screws! It's been leaking since the day it was installed but showed real signs of damage in the last month or so. With my fathers hip surgery the riser addition seemed like a good choice while we were at it. 

This is another great reason NEVER to caulk a toilet bowl to the floor (if the wax ring leaks, you WANT to see water)...


Anyone else have a similar experience?  Believe it or not, this isn't the worst I've seen.  Once before I did a replacement where someone used an aluminum pie plate, gasoline funnel and silicone to make the code certified connection between toilet bowl and sewer pipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment